Annie’s Lemon Zucchini Cake
- 1 cup caster sugar
- zest of 2 large lemons
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter; melted
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 C, or use AGA baking setting. Spray a bundt pan or 23×33 cm baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and lemon zest until the sugar is moistened and the zest is thoroughly incorporated. Add in vegetable oil, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and mix with a hand mixer on medium speed until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the zucchini.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake a bundt cake for 45-50 minutes and a 23×33 cm cake for 35-40 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over cooled cake. Glaze will harden slightly.