AGA GINGERBREAD MEN
Perfect for involving little helpers in the kitchen, this recipe is super easy and allows you to get creative with decoration.
225g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2-3 tsp ground ginger (depending on taste!)
1 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
50g unsalted butter
100g soft brown sugar
100g golden syrup
Ready-made writing icing and cake decorations or sweets to decorate
1. Line several large baking trays with Bake-O-Glide or baking parchment. Sieve the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon together into a large bowl.
2. Heat the butter, sugar and syrup in a heavy based saucepan on the simmering plate or induction hob on low until dissolved. Leave the mixture to cool slightly, then mix into the dry ingredients to form a dough. Gently knead into a ball. Wrap dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Lightly dust the work surface with flour, roll out the dough to a 3-4mm thickness. Don’t worry if it’s a bit crumbly. Cut out the gingerbread men shapes with a cutter, then re-roll any excess dough, knead together lightly and repeat. Place the gingerbread on the lined trays, allowing space for them to spread.
4. Bake on the grid shelf on the floor of the baking oven for 10-15 minutes until starting to colour. Turn tray if needed. Cooking time will depend on the size. Leave to cool.
5. Decorate with writing icing and cake decorations or sweets.
Alternative cooking: Preheat oven to 190 oC/170 oC fan/gas 5 and cook for 10-15 minutes depending on size.
Tips: This mixture can be used for any shapes of gingerbread, including decorations for your Christmas tree, just make a hole for the ribbon before baking. Royal or glace icing can be used to decorate too.