For the Rice
- 1 cup white rice (sushi rice if you can get it)
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- 1 cup chopped veggies – (carrot, cucumber, red pepper, avocado)
- Sashimi grade fish (if you would like it, you can also opt for vegeterian rolls)
- Soy sauce, pickled ginger, wasabi for serving
- Start by preparing your rice. Rinse rice in a fine mesh strainer until your water runs clear. Then add to a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil on the Boiling Plate. Once it boils, move to the Simmering Plate, cover and cook until water is completely absorbed – about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add vinegar, sugar and salt to a small saucepan and heat on the Simmering Plate stirring occasionally until sugar and salt are dissolved. Place in a jar or dish and cool in the fridge until rice is ready.
- Once the rice is done, kill the heat and add the cooled vinegar mixture and stir with a rubber spatula or fork as to not overmix. It will appear wet but will dry up as you lightly stir to release heat. It should be sticky and completely dry once it’s ready.
- In the meantime, prep your veggies by chopping them into thin pieces. If they’re too bulky they won’t allow the sushi to roll well. Also prep your fish if you are using it, it should have been chilled the entire time, and now you just need to slice it into small pieces
- Now it’s time to roll: grab a thick towel and fold it over into a rectangle and place it on a flat surface. Top with plastic wrap, then with a sheet of nori. Using your hands dipped in water (to avoid sticking), pat a very thin layer of rice all over the nori, making sure it’s not too thick or your roll will be all rice and no filling.
- Then, arrange a serving of your veggies or preferred filling in a line at the bottom 3/4 of the rice closest to you
- Start to roll the nori and rice over with your fingers, and once the veggies & fish are covered, roll over the plastic wrap and towel, using it to mold and compress the roll. Continue until it’s all the way rolled up.
- Slice with a sharp knife and set aside.
- Serve immediately with pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi.