To bake the cornbread you can use an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 square baking pan or a 8-inch or 9-inch cast iron skillet if you prefer.
** makes 12 pieces
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 C non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 C fine cornmeal
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 C vegan butter, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (added into the liquid ingredients)
- 1/2 C pecans, finely chopped + extra whole ones for topping
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (drizzled on topping)
- Mix the ground flax and water together in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Mix the milk and apple cider vinegar together and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cornmeal, flour, sea salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Melt butter and using a silicone brush lightly coat the bottom and sides of the baking pan or skillet. Then add the rest of the melted butter to the milk and vinegar mixture along with the flax mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to the mixture and stir to combine well.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry. Then add your filling, reserving 1 to 2 tablespoons for placing on the top. Then fold together until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan or skillet and spread out in an even layer out the edges. Place some of your topping on top of the evened out batter - whole pecans and another drizzle of maple syrup.
- Bake in the Roasting Oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean, the cornbread has slightly come off the edges of the pan and edges are golden brown, and there are a few small cracks on top of the loaf. Place on a wire rack to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Then place another wire rack on top of the pan and flip it to get the loaf out onto the wire rack. Once cooled then slice into squares.
It's best eaten the first day of baking with some extra vegan butter on top and even a little more maple drizzled on top for serving.
You can also lightly microwave or warm up pieces in the oven before serving. Store extra in a container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Recipe and images by: https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2017/6/20/vegan-cornbread-3-ways?rq=cornbread