- 560 g green jackfruit (If canned, it’s in brine, NOT the stuff in syrup)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsps (10 ml) liquid smoke
- 1 tsp (5 ml) red chili flakes
- 2 tsps (10 ml) paprika
- 340 g vegan-friendly beer
- 1 cube (1 tsp / 5ml) vegetable stock
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegan bbq sauce
- Cilantro, for garnish
- 4 vegan hamburger buns
- 454 g cabbage, shredded
- 227 g red cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- juice from ½ a lime
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- salt/pepper to taste
Oven-baked french fries
- 1300 g potatoes, sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 tsps (10 ml) garlic powder
- 2 tsps (10ml) onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan, add the chopped onion and cook for a few minutes before adding the jackfruit, spices and liquid smoke.
- Add the beer and vegetable stock, lower the heat, cover the pan and cook for about 45 minutes. If you don’t have a cover large enough, or, if after about 30 minutes, most of the liquid is gone, add some more beer.
- While the jackfruit is simmering, you can prepare your coleslaw and potatoes. For the coleslaw, simply mix all the ingredients and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat. You can even make the coleslaw the day before, and it’s even better!
- For the fries, scrub the potatoes and slice into long wedges. Mix the oil and spices in a bowl, add the potatoes and toss to cover them in the oil/spice mixture. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the Roasting oven for about 45 minutes.
- The cooked jackfruit (most of the liquid should be absorbed now) can now be “pulled” or shredded, using two forks pushed into the middle of each piece, and then drawn outwards. Transfer the pulled jackfruit to an oven-safe form and mix with the BBQ sauce. Place the jackfruit fairly high up in the Roasting oven, and heat until the jackfruit gets some color - about 10 minutes. (I timed this so that the fries had about 10 minutes remaining, and lowered them to the bottom of the oven. With the jackfruit on a baking tray, the fries aren’t exposed to the full heat)
- Remove from the oven and serve with the coleslaw and cilantro on your favorite, vegan hamburger bun or bread.
Recipe and images from http://www.planticize.com/recipes/fooled-pork-aka-vegan-pulled-pork/