STRAWBERRY HAND PIE CRUST
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tablespoonsgranulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cold
- 6 to 10 tablespoons ice water
STRAWBERRY HAND PIE FILLING
- 3/4 pound strawberries, caps removed and cut into 1/-inch thick slices
- 1 stalk rhubarb, chopped
- 3 tablespoonsgranulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Strawberry Ice Cream
- For the filling, toss together the strawberries, rhubarb, and sugar in a medium bowl until combined. Empty the mixture into a small saucepan and bring to a boil on the Boiling Plate. Move to the Simmering Plate and simmer until the strawberries have softened and some of the liquid in the pan has evaporated, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- To prepare the crust, mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Grate the butter over the bowl on the largest hole setting, stopping every couple minutes to stir in the grated butter bits so that they don’t form one giant butter shard clump. Add the water in small increments, stirring, until all the water is added. Knead the dough for about 30 seconds to help disperse the moisture, then grab a handful of the mixture and squeeze. If it generally sticks together when you let go, it is fine. If it completely crumbles apart, it needs another tablespoon or two of water. Once the dough holds its shape, divide it into two balls.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper down on a flat working surface and lightly dust it with flour. Place one of the dough balls on the parchment paper, and then pat it down into a rough oval shape that's a few inches thick. Lightly flour the top, then lay another sheet of parchment paper on top and roll out the dough to about 1/8-inch thick in between the sheets of parchment paper. Repeat with the other ball of dough so that you have two sheets of dough between parchment paper.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a 3-inch round cookie cutter to cut out the bottoms of the hand pies and place them on the baking sheet with a couple inches of space between them. Use a slotted spoon to put some of the sliced strawberry filling on top, leaving about 1/4-inch border around to seal the crust.
- Use a 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter to cut the tops of the hand pies out of the other sheet of dough. To seal, dip your finger in water and trace it around the edge of the bottom crust. Place the larger, top circle of dough on top and press the edges to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges and use a knife to cut a few small holes in the top to allow steam to escape. Repeat until you've made 12 hand pies.
- Whisk together the egg and milk and then lightly brush the pies with the mixture. Place them in the Baking Oven and bake until golden brown, about 60 minutes. Allow to cool before assembling.
- To prep the ice cream centers, line a 1/4-cup measuring scoop with plastic wrap. Use a spoon to scoop the ice cream into the measuring up and compact it, then turn it out onto a tray lined with parchment paper and remove the plastic wrap from the top of it. Line the cup with the plastic wrap again and repeat until you have 6 mounds of ice cream. Place the tray in the freezer for 1 hour.
- When you're ready to serve, you can assemble them by placing the ice cream disc in between two of the pies.
- Recipe is from Adventures in Cooking http://adventuresincooking.com/2017/06/strawberry-rhubarb-pie-ice-cream-sandwiches.html