- 750 gm strawberries, quartered, plus extra to serve
- 110 gm(½ cup) caster sugar
- 200 ml thickened cream, lightly whisked
- 125 gm crème fraîche
- 55 gm(½ cup) pure icing sugar, sieved
- Scraped seeds of ½ vanilla bean
- 125 gm raspberries
- 100 gm eggwhite (about 3 eggs)
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 100 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 15 gm cornflour
- Whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until firm peaks form (3-4 minutes). With motor running, gradually add caster sugar and whisk until thick and glossy (2-3 minutes). Sieve icing sugar and cornflour over, fold to combine, then spoon 8cm-diameter mounds onto oven trays lined with baking paper. Bake on the grid shelf on the floor of the Simmering Oven until meringues lift easily from trays and are crisp but not coloured (about 2 hours) Turn the plain shelf after an hour. If the meringues are coloured to your liking but not quite cooked, take them out of the oven and place on a Chef’s Pad on the closed lid of the Simmering Plate for 2 or 3 hours to continue to dry out.
- Meanwhile, toss strawberries and caster sugar in a large bowl to combine, then set aside until juices begin to seep (20 minutes).
- Whisk cream, crème fraîche, icing sugar and vanilla seeds together in a separate large bowl until soft peaks form. Scatter a quarter of the strawberries in the base of a 3-litre serving bowl, spread with a quarter of the cream mixture, and coarsely crumble a quarter of the meringue over the top. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients.
- Scatter Eton mess with raspberries and extra strawberries and serve.
Recipe is from Gourmet Traveller http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/recipe-search/classic-dish/2012/1/eton-mess/