- 1kg sugar
- 1L water
- 1/2 lemon
- 250g butter
- 1 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- Melt the butter and then mix in the oil and sugar. Whip until it is foamy and light. Add the eggs, sour cream, and fold gently.
- Add the flour and coconut and mix until it forms a ball that pulls away from the dish.
- Make into finger size shapes and press into a grater to create the pattern.
- Bake on a gentle heat or in the Simmering Oven for 30 minutes until golden and allow to cool.
- Make the simple syrup by mixing the sugar, water, lemon and bringing to the boil.
- Cover the golden shortbread with the hot syrup and allow it to soak.
Recipe and images from Leila Chalks cookbook "The Lost Chef" https://www.leilachalk.com/